Prep time: 1hr | Cook Time: 30mins | Serves: 8
2 cups glutinous rice, soaked in water 3 hours to overnight
2 ½ cups water
1 ½ cups brown sugar
1 can coconut milk
toasted coconut flakes, for garnish
For the Sweet Coconut Glaze:
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup coconut milk
½ cup water
2 Tbsp cornstarch
¼ cup water
1. Drain the soaked glutinous rice and place in the rice cooker. Add the water, sugar, and coconut milk. Stir well and cook on regular white rice setting.
2. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
3. Transfer the cooked rice to a 9-inch round cake pan lined with aluminum foil, or lightly oiled. Pat down the top to flatten the surface of the rice cake.
4. Make the Sweet Coconut Glaze. In a small pot, combine the sugar, coconut milk, and ½ cup water. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and ¼ cup water. Bring the coconut milk mixture to a boil, then add the cornstarch slurry. Cook briefly, stirring constantly, until thick; remove from the heat.
5. Spread the Sweet Coconut Glaze on top of the coconut rice cake and bake in the oven using the bottom heat function for 30 minutes.
6. Sprinkle toasted coconut flakes on top before serving.