Prep time: 1hr | Cook Time: 5hrs | Serves: 10
3 kg whole pork belly, boneless
4 tsp fine salt
½ tsp pepper
½ cup grated garlic
4 stalks lemongrass (white part only)
8-12 whole garlic cloves
¼ cup olive oil
1. Clean the pork belly properly. Trim off the excess fat and skin.
2. Generously season the belly with salt and pepper all over— put more salt on the meat and less on the skin.
3. Lay the belly skin side down. Rub the grated garlic on the meat. Arrange the lemongrass and whole garlic cloves on one line at the belly’s centre and drizzle with a little olive oil.
4. Roll the belly into a log and tie with the cooking string. Brush the skin with the remaining olive oil. Cover with foil and bake using the convectional heat function for 3 1/2 hours.
5. Remove the foil and bake for another hour. Turn on the broiler and broil the pork until the skin becomes crisp while turning the belly so that all sides are broiled.
6. Serve with spiced vinegar or any preferred dipping sauce.